Saturday, August 23, 2008

Label Today's Rock Music For Me Please

The other day at work I posed the question of what we call the rock music of today. I had a couple replies but nothing solid. One said just "Rock", another "unoriginal" which I thought was clever. We've had progressive rock, heavy metal, hard rock, glam rock, arena rock, old rock is now has been called classic rock since it came out, grunge, speed metal, thrash, art rock, hair metal and so on and on. And I also want to ask the question where is the one or two bands of this decade or generation that will change the face of music? It's the middle of 2008 and it hasn't happened yet to my knowledge. Elvis of the 50s, Beatles/Stones of the 60s, Zeppelin/Sabbath of the 70s, VH/and I'll throw in Motley Crue in the 80s just for the sake of breaking out of L.A. with the Glam/Hair Metal and power ballad(s),and Nirvana/Soundgarden in the 90s. I also posed the question about mainstream. One funny reply to me was how is alternative music alternative if its mainstream. Maybe we are just so caught up in all the American Idols of the world and reality/look at me world of reality television and YouTube or Guitar Hero video games. I think why some of these old bands going back out on tour at the age of 40/50/60 is for the fact 'they can'. We just don't have that one big rock band that everybody has to go see. Nobody is standing out from the rest. Everyone has their own favorite bands BUT not everybody has the same favorite bands. But the word that keeps coming back to me is "unoriginal".

1 comment:

kell said...

you know what it will take. the snack king and i will be front row. come up with a formula, start something up and \m/. then i can be reading your book in twenty years.