Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Check Jerry's Brain: Alice's Comeback


I will first admit I was very skeptical with the Alice in Chains comeback without the late Layne Staley. After his death in 2002 I was for sure that was the last of AIC. With the new Black Gives Way To Blue I wasn't even sure I would give it a listen. Now I will say after the first listen I was impressed from the very first song to last. Even though I feel some songs lose their way with thier new singer (which only appears on four songs). I will just say now Jerry carries the band now and with all do respect to Layne, Jerry carried more than I thought during the early years. The album opens with a little long All Secrets Known. A little dreary for an opening song. The song is only 4:45 but as slow as it is, seems a little too long to get the real opening song Check My Brain which is probably the best song on the album. Now on When the Sun Rose Again and Private Hell you can hear the haunting influence of Layne's voice. It's almost eery. The closing song is Black Gives Way to Blue which which is a personal tribut to Layne. It's a very sad and you can even feel the pain the band has and still is going through.

Better Than Expected:
1. Check My Brain
2. Your Decision
3. Black Gives Way to Blue
4. Take Her Out
5. Private Hell
6. When the Sun Rose Again

Skip throughs:
1. Last of My Kind
2. Acid Bubble
3. A Looking in View
4. Lessoned Learned

No comments: